FOR SALE

Sunday 25 January 2015

Keeping up the challenges.....

As I mentioned last weekend, I've set myself a challenge to sew something using patterns that I've not used before.  Well I've really been busy this week and although some of my 'challenges' have not exactly involved new patterns, they have involved modifications to those patterns.  For example, I made a sleeveless gillet for Dee's Elfine (The Sasha Village blog) and where the pattern calls for the gillet to be made unlined in knit fabric, I decided to fully line mine in lilac and white gingham and make the gillet itself in deep lilac corderoy.   I had to do quite a bit of it by hand but am very happy with the finished result, and so I believe is Elfine, so that's the main thing! :)  Here is the gillet being modelled by Hope, my Kaye Wiggs girl. 


And here are the details of the jeans....because I know it wouldn't be 'fitting' to ask HRH Princess Elfine to show us her bum ;)....they have 5 working pockets, opening front fly, leather tag on the waistband and red tag on the pockets, as well as tiny metal 'rivets' like real jeans have.  I don't generally add belt loops as they add too much bulk at the waist.  And please ignore the printing on the leather tag...not good...but once I'd put it on, there was no getting it off again. :(



Another challenge this weekend was to make a pair of boots for my Kidz n Cats dolls.  This pattern is designed for the American Girl dolls so is a little bit wide in the leg for the Kidz, however, I think with thick socks or boot toppers, they work very well.  I used red faux suede for these.



Sian (2014 Grace) gets to wear them first as she doesn't have any other footwear that remotely matches her outfit....


Earlier in the week I also finished a couple of outfits for another friend in the UK, these are for the Little Darlings and the ski pants are another pattern that I'd not used before but adapted from a different pattern.  Finn is modelling them beautifully for me.....(you'll also notice that she's trying a couple of different wigs....what do you think?)








Sewing aside, I also did a bit more work on the eye sockets of my other Kidz n Cats girl, Elise from 2013.  I wanted her to have these eyes but they are oval, flat backed, glass and wouldn't sit right in the sockets, I have now got them to fit perfectly, so I'm very happy with that as I think these glass eyes are much nicer and more natural looking than those I'd previously used.


And finally some photos of both Kidz girls together, Elise on the left with Sian.....they are the best of friends :)




Thanks for stopping by, I hope you all have a lovely week :)  

25 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! I love everything! Were the AG boots hard to make? I'd like to try to make some footwear. The ski suit is great. I love the purple vest too! Very nice job! Cheers from Snowy Boston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Happysuz! No, not hard to make the boots at all, I'd say reaonably simple really. I've tried making shoes before but because they took longer I got bored and second one showed that boredom!!!! I'm glad you like the things I've made.
      I hope you're not too snowed under in Boston now, I've been watching the news and my goodness that is one heavy snowfall you're getting over there in Mass.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You've been really busy! I love the vest, and those red boots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn :)
      Yes, very busy, but I have a few days of doing my own thing and then back again to commissions....so a nice 'rest'!!!

      Delete
  3. Sharon those jeans are amazing! Such wonderful work indeed. A great fun challenge you have set yourself and some fantastic work achieved so far..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon , Elfine thanks you so much for her lovely outfit, the jeans, Gilet and blouse are fabulous. I would never have guessed you'd not made a gilet for a Kay Wiggs doll before, it's perfect as is all the rest.
    Looks like you had a very busy week making new things and changing the eyes of Elise! Plus re wigging Finn, both of which wig's really suit her.
    And now boots! Amazing! I'm still thinking about making something!! lol
    once again thanks for Elfine's clothes hugs Dee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're both more than welcome Dee. I have actually made a gillet before but never fully lined like this one, the pattern calls for just knit fabric, like sweatshirting, and unlined, but I wanted to sew something special for Elfine :) hence the full lining etc.
      I was really busy but I'm lazing about today.....then back to work again!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sharon, great outfits! I love the gillet with cap, the lining is perfect with it! The boots are great too, and the jeans!!! Elise and Sian look so cute together :-). Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Night Owl, glad you like them all :)

      Delete
  6. Liebe Sharon, ich bewundere deine Nähkünste sehr... Fast nichts kann mich mehr begeistern, als perfekt genähte Miniaturkleidung die in allen Details mit der echten übereinstimmt:) Super gemacht! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vielen Dank Barbara, ich schätze die sehr freundlichen Worte über meine nähen. Ich bemühe mich sehr hart, so viel Realismus wie möglich meine Outfits haben ich bin froh, dass du denkst, ich habe das hier erreicht :)
      I hope that makes sense, I used Bing!!!! ;)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work Sharon - you've been busy.
    I love the working pockets on the gilet - most impressive, mind you so are the pockets on the jeans!
    Finn looks so different in the different colour of hair, I'm glad you said it was the same girl (it was wasn't it?)
    Her hoodie in flower print is lovely too - is it cord?
    Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rosie, glad you like the outfits and stuff.
      Yes, that is still Finn, she does look very different in the dark wig, doesn't she! That's what I like about these dolls!
      The green hoodie is made from a pair of childs winter leggings so it's knit but quite thick and it has a nice soft fleecy feel on the wrong side of the fabric.
      Have a great one yourself :)

      Delete
  8. Great post Sharon! Every piece of clothing is just wonderful! I love those jeans and I am marveling at the detail and the fit! It is so nice to see the close up. Your Finn is precious and honestly, the other wig took me by surprise and I thought she was another girl! It is great that a wig can make such a difference and can give her a variety of appearances. Congrats on getting Elise's eye positioned perfectly. Both of the
    Kidz girls are so sweet and so nice to see that they are best friends!! Have a great week! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ginger!
      Doesn't Finn look great as a brunette! She's back being blond at the moment but the day is young, as they say!

      Delete
  9. You do great work, and you find such fantastic fabrics too!

    I'd love to hear more about those boots - how different is making footwear versus clothing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jSarie!
      Making footwear is more of a sticky business....using different glues, and I did a lot of 'make - do' with them as I didn't have some of the thi ngs that the pattern called for! I will make more one day :)

      Delete
  10. Wonderful as ever, Sharon!
    You're one on my list to admire for their great handgrafting ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the outfit & all of the detailed photos. So many talents!!! Carol (from Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like YOU and these dollies had a super week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Kendal, a very busy week for sure! :)

      Delete

Your comment will be visible after moderation.